If you've tried to make black buttercream in the past, you know how frustrating it is when you end up with blue, gray or purple tones instead. But toil no longer — here's the secret to the blackest of black buttercream, courtesy of Joshua John Russell.
Black Chocolate Buttercream
Yield: Makes enough to fill and ice a 10-inch cake
- 3 pounds unsalted butter
- 1 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 2 cups black cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons Madagascar bourbon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Place the butter and shortening, both at room temperature, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
2. Cream on medium-high speed for about one minute until smooth, scraping the bowl at 30 seconds.
3. Add the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix on a low speed for about 1 minute until smooth, scraping the bowl at 30 seconds.