Butter. Cream cheese. Sugar. Need we say more? Here's how to make Joshua John Russell's favorite cream cheese buttercream — the ultimate frosting for red velvet cake .
Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: Enough to fill and ice two 10-inch round cakes
- 3 pounds cream cheese
- 2 pounds unsalted butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla bean paste
1. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before mixing.
2. In a stand mixer with a paddle, cream the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth.
3. Add butter and mix until incorporated.
4. Add vanilla and sugar and blend on low speed until incorporated.
5. Switch the attachment to a whip, and whip on high until light and fluffy.