Joshua John Russell loves cake so much he doesn't like to waste even the crumbs. But instead of turning leftover slices into cake pops, he makes a genius move and uses them for ice cream sandwiches!
Garbage Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches
What You Need
- Ingredients for cake pop dough (5 cups leftover cake, loosely packed, plus 1 cup buttercream or cream cheese frosting ), divided equally in two
- ½ gallon of your favorite ice cream, softened
Note: To soften ice cream, place it in the refrigerator up to an hour before use, or mix on low speed in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until spreadable.
Make the Cake Pop Dough
1. Place ingredients into a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
2. Mix on low until fully incorporated and mixture resembles the consistency of cookie dough. This should just take a few minutes.
Make the Ice Cream Sandwiches
1. In an 8-by-8-inch pan lined with plastic wrap, press one half of the cake pop dough firmly into the bottom to create a uniform layer.
2. Spread ice cream evenly over dough and place in freezer until hard.
3. Remove from freezer and add second half of cake-pop dough on top, making sure to apply evenly and with firm pressure. Freeze again until solid.
4. Using the plastic wrap lining to help, remove from pan and cut sandwiches to desired size with sharp knife.