Cables are a beautiful way to add texture and interest to your crochet projects. But if you've never crocheted one before, it can be a bit intimidating. They're made by skipping a set of stitches (usually two or three, depending on the stitch width of the cable), then crossing front and back post stitches to create that twisted effect. So once you get the hang of it, it's actually pretty fun to make.
While there are many different kinds of crochet cables , the below tutorial follows a basic design to get you started.
Six-Stitch Crochet Cable
- dc: double crochet
- ch: chain
- fpdc: front post double crochet
- bpdc: back post double crochet
1. Chain 20. Skip 2 ch (this is your turning chain), then work 2 rows of double crochet. These will serve as your foundation.
2. Ch 3, dc in next 6 sts, skip next 3 sts, fpdc into the next stitch.
Repeat this fpdc for 2 more sts. You should now have 3 front-post double crochet stitches that are slanting to the right.
3. Go back to the first of the 3 skipped stitches and fpdc into the 1st, 2nd, then 3rd sts. This will create stitches that slant to the left.
Dc in remaining sts to the end of the row.
4. Turn, ch 3, skip first dc, dc in next 3 dc, bpdc in next 6 sts, dc to end.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 (the cable row and wrong side row) to work the cable pattern.
Good to Know
When you're crocheting cables, keep your pattern easily available , especially if there are multiple cables. It's easy to get mixed up as to which way to cross your cables.
Crochet Cables in Action
Ready to test your skills? Here are some crochet cable patterns to try!
Parker Cable Crochet Socks
Get a how-to for making these stylish socks in 11 different sizes (and practice your cabling along the way). They're perfect for wearing around the house on chilly days.
Giant Crochet Cable Pillow
Jumbo yarn, a large hook and post stitches make for a comfy (and squishy) pillow pattern. This project will add so much style to your room!
Infinity Cable Scarf
This is the winter accessory. The scarf is gorgeous for guys and gals, thanks to the offset cable design and fabulous drape.