This cake is dense, moist and filled with crunchy almonds. What's not to love? Go nutty over this almond cake recipe from Joshua John Russell himself. (Bonus points: it's vegan!)
Yield: Two 10-inch round cakes
- 4 cups (800 g) granulated sugar
- 6 cups (750 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (140 g) almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⅓ cups (320 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Grease two 10-inch round cake pans.
3. Fit a stand mixer with the whip attachment. In the bowl of the stand mixer, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and almonds. Mix on low speed.
4. In a separate small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar.
5. In another small bowl, combine the oil and vanilla and almond extracts.
6. While the mixer is running on low, add the oil mixture, milk mixture, and half of the water to the dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated and no lumps remain.
7. Add the remaining water and mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
8. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. When the cakes are done, they should appear set and spring back when pressed lightly.