Making this deep blue cake is about as easy as it gets. Pair it with red velvet and white icing and let the fireworks blaze!
Blue Velvet Cake
Yield: Two 10-inch cake rounds
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ⅓ cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons blue food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Thoroughly grease two 10-inch round cake pans.
2. Fit the bowl of a standard mixer with the whip attachment and place the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda into the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed.
3. Add blue food coloring to the water and set aside.
4. Add vinegar to the milk and set aside.
5. Add vanilla to the oil and set aside as well.
6. While the mixer is still running on low, add the oil mixture, milk mixture and half of the water mixture. Mix until well combined and lump-free.
7. Add the last of the water and blend until well combined.
8. Fill greased pans with the batter and bake for 30-45 minutes.