If you think vanilla is boring, you obviously haven't tried this version from Man About Cake, Joshua John Russell. It's versatile, 100% delicious and (miraculously!) free of dairy and eggs.
Yield: Two 10-inch round cakes
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ⅓ cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
1. Preheat oven to 350 F, grease your pans and set aside.
2. Fit the bowl of a stand mixer with the whip attachment. Combine sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in the mixer and turn on low speed to sift the ingredients.
3. In a bowl, combine the vinegar and the milk and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the oil and vanilla.
4. While the mixer is running on low, add the oil mixture, milk mixture and half of the water to the dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated and free of lumps.
5. Add the last bit of water and blend until fully incorporated.
6. Fill pans and bake for 30-45 minutes. The cakes are ready when they feel set to the touch.