This chocolate mirror glaze is just what it sounds like — a glaze so shiny that you can practically see your own reflection in your cake. Pair that with its A+ taste, and this is a Man About Cake creation you've gotta try. Pour it on and see how good you (and your cake) can look!
Dark Chocolate Mirror Glaze
- 3 sheets gelatin
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 3½ ounces heavy cream
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (40 g) cocoa powder
1. To bloom the gelatin, place the sheets individually into a bowl of 2 to 3 cups cold water. (Adding the sheets to the water one at a time make sure they don't stick together.) Set aside for at least 5 to 10 minutes
2. Heat the ¼ cup water, cream and granulated sugar over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the cocoa until dissolved.
4. Take the bloomed gelatin sheets out of the water and squeeze to release any excess water. Discard the water in the bowl.
5. Add the gelatin sheets to the warm glaze and stir until dissolved.
6. Pass the glaze through a strainer or a colander lined with cheesecloth to remove any lumps.
7. Use immediately, or place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the glaze and refrigerate. Warm gently before using to reach a pourable consistency.