A perfect red velvet cake is one of those basics every cake lover should have in the recipe box. And now you do, thanks to Joshua John Russell. Make it even better by smothering it in cream cheese buttercream!
Red Velvet Cake
Yield: Two 10-inch round cakes
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ⅓ cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 F, grease your pans and set them aside.
2. In a standing mixer with the whip attachment, sift the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda at low speed.
3. In a bowl, add red food coloring to the water and set aside.
4. In separate bowls, add vinegar to the milk and add vanilla to the oil.
5. With the mixer on low, add the oil mixture, milk mixture and half of the water mixture. Mix until incorporated and free of lumps.
6. Add the last of the water mixer and blend until fully incorporated.
7. Fill the cake pans and bake for 30-45 minutes.