A perfect red velvet cake is one of those basic recipes every cake lover should have in their back pocket. Now you do, thanks to this to-die-for recipe from Joshua John Russell, star of our super-popular Man About Cake series (and our Man About Bake show). Make it as a straight-up cake, smother it in cream cheese buttercream or, if you're feeling extra festive, watch the video below and turn that cake into decorated donuts!
Red Velvet Cake
Yield: Two 10" round cakes
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ⅓ cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 F, grease your pans and set them aside.
2. In a stand mixer with the whip attachment, sift the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda at low speed.
3. In a bowl, add red food coloring to the water and set aside.
4. In a bowl, add vinegar to the milk and set aside.
5. In a bowl, add vanilla to the oil and set aside.
6. With the mixer on low, add the oil mixture, milk mixture and half of the water mixture. Mix until incorporated and free of lumps.
7. Add the last of the water mixer and blend until fully incorporated.
8. Fill the cake pans and bake for 30-45 minutes.
Find Your Next Recipe
Add these classic JJR recipes to your repertoire and you'll become the go-to baker of your crew.