Who needs a campfire? Whether it’s a rainy day, a snowy day, or a plain old Tuesday, all that’s really required are three perfect elements (you know what they are), and the gooey goodness of these next-gen s’mores can be all yours. (Finger licking not mandatory, but completely encouraged.)
About these gooey, delicious s'mores bars
Start with a no-bake crust — graham crackers get mixed with melted butter, and crushed into a 9” square pan. (While I often sneak in a pre-made pie crust when recipes call for graham cracker crusts, in this case it’s not quite the right shape.)
The chocolate layer here is a chocolate ganache, made with semisweet chocolate. I prefer to use semisweet (50 to 60 percent cacao) in this recipe because I find its balance of sweetness and bitter is a little more grown up than traditional milk. Extra bonus: Semisweet chocolate chips are an easy-to-grab pantry staple.
The final layer is (of course) a generous pile of mini-marshmallows. They’re added on top just before the ganache has set completely.
- I find it much easier to cut these bars before I toast the marshmallows. They’re easier to slice, and toasting them just before serving means the marshmallows are still warm and perfectly gooey when people devour them.
- I use a kitchen torch to get a uniform caramelization, without causing the rest of it to turn soupy. No torch? No problem. Just heat up the broiler and put the pan under the heat until the tops brown.
No-bake s'mores bars recipe
Makes 20 bars
- 8 large graham crackers
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 9-ounce semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Approximately 2½ cups mini marshmallows
Line a 9″ square baking pan with parchment paper. Place graham crackers in a zip-top bag and crush into fine crumbs with a rolling pin or in a food processor.
In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and salt. Stir until well-combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer, using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to press crumbs firmly into place.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes, until set.
In a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, bring cream to a simmer. Place chocolate and vanilla extract in a separate medium-sized bowl and pour hot cream over the chocolate.
Let chocolate stand for 1 minute, then stir until very smooth and well-combined. Pour ganache over graham cracker crust.
Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over the top of the ganache. Refrigerate bars until set, 1-2 hours, before slicing. Use a kitchen torch to toast the tops of the marshmallows before serving.