A big game calls for a big meal. This hearty stew (adapted from our Real Life Cooking class) checks all the boxes with chunks of beef, yummy noodles and — secret ingredient! — beer. Break out the slow cooker and have yourself an extra-tasty weekend.
Beef, Beer and BBQ Stew Recipe
Yield: serves 4-6
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, homemade or store bought
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups thickly sliced peeled carrots (or use half parsnips)
- ¾ cups beer (your favorite kind)
- Hot cooked noodles, to serve
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Season the beef evenly with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat for about 10 minutes until brown on all sides. Be careful not to crowd the beef cubes in the pan as they cook. Once browned, set the meat aside.
3. Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan and add the onions. Sauté them for three minutes until lightly browned, then put them in a slow cooker.
4. Add the barbecue sauce, beef broth, honey and mustard to the slow cooker and stir. Add the carrots and browned beef and stir.
5. Add the beer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until the meat is tender. Serve hot over noodles and top with cheese.