We've all been known to pop a frozen pizza in the oven — hey, dinner time is rough! But the next time you have a few extra minutes (that is, the next time you can make a few extra minutes), we highly recommend DIYing your dough.
It's not as intimidating as you might think. Fabio Viviani (host of our new show, Pizza Revolution ) knows the secret to mixing up the dough in just a few minutes. Then you let it sit (and sit down yourself?) for a few hours, shape it, top it, bake it, and eat it!
Perfect Pizza Dough Recipe
What you need:
- 4 cups (480 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ cups (360 ml) warm water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet yeast (¼ ounce/7 g or approximately 2¼ teaspoons)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, plus more for brushing
Make the dough
1. Whisk the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well and add the warm water, sugar and yeast, and stir to combine.
2. When foamy, mix in the olive oil and then knead until smooth, 5 minutes.
3. Transfer dough to a floured baking sheet, dust lightly with flour and cover with a damp cloth to rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
4. Punch down the dough and divide into portions (many small portions for individual pizzas, or just two large portions if you want to make large pizzas). 5. Roll each portion into a ball, place back on the floured sheet and allow to rise again until almost doubled (about an hour).
Bake the pizza
- Preheat the oven to 550 F (290 C/gas 10)., or your oven's highest temperature if it does not reach 550 F.
- Shape and flatten the dough, top as desired and bake until golden, 10-12 minutes.