Contrary to popular belief, being vegan does NOT mean that your diet has to be drab. This recipe from Vegan Junk Food will leave even non-vegans with their mouths watering. We promise!
Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Ganache
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 medium banana, sliced
Ingredients for the chocolate ganache:
- ½ cup soy milk
- 12 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease and flour well.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, oil, mashed bananas, milk, and vanilla.
3. In separate medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to banana mixture and mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Fill prepared muffin cups ¾ full.
5. Bake 15–17 minutes or until cupcakes are golden and spring back when lightly touched in the center. Cool completely.
6. Place a banana slice on top of each cupcake; pour a heaping teaspoonful of ganache over banana. Allow ganache to set before serving.
1. Bring the soy milk to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
2. Add chocolate chips and butter or oil to the hot soy milk and stir until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Pour the ganache over the cupcakes when it is cool enough to be thick, but still liquid.
Excerpted from Vegan Junk Food, Expanded Edition: 200+ Vegan Recipes for the Foods You Crave―Minus the Ingredients You Don't, Expanded Edition by Lane Gold Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photographs by James Stefiuk.