You've probably made enough banana bread for several lifetimes. Time to upgrade to banana cake. This delicious recipe from Joshua John Russell will be your next go-to.
Yield Two 10–inch round cakes
- 4 cups (792 g) granulated sugar
- 6 cups (720 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups (480 ml) unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups (320 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 ripe bananas
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease two 10-inch round cake pans with pan spray and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, sift the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt on low speed.
3. In separate bowls, add the vinegar to the soy milk, and add the vanilla to the oil.
4. With the mixer on low, add the oil mixture, the soy milk mixture and 1 cup water.
5. Mash the bananas and add to the mixer bowl. Mix until incorporated and no lumps remain. Add another 1 cup water and blend until fully incorporated.
6. Fill the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. When the cakes are done, they should be set to the touch.