Imagine a cake that's perfectly moist, delightfully fluffy and packed with chocolate flavor. Now what if we told you that you could make that cake without any dairy or eggs? We wouldn't blame you for doubting us. But that's the reality of this to-die-for chocolate cake recipe from Joshua John Russell (the star of our very own Man About Cake series).
The secret? Oil and almond milk stand in for butter and dairy, and instead of eggs, JJR uses a mix of baking soda and vinegar (the stuff of school science project days) to help the cake rise.
Make your own vegan chocolate cake
Makes two 10" round cakes
- 4 cups white sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups cocoa
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease pans and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer and whip attachment, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in the mixer and turn on low speed. This will sift the ingredients.
- Add espresso powder to the water and set aside.
- Add vinegar to the milk and set aside.
- Add vanilla to the oil.
- While the mixer is running on low, add the oil mixture, milk mixture, and half of the water mixture.
- Mix until incorporated and no lumps are found.
- Add the last bit of water and blend until fully incorporated.
- Fill pans and bake for 30-45 minutes, checking the cakes at 30 minutes for doneness. When the cakes are done, they should be set to the touch