Move over, chocolate. We're all about the crochet hearts this Valentine's Day. Whip up a bunch using scrap yarn, or just make one for that very special someone. (And then maybe attach it to some chocolate.)
Crochet Heart Pattern
What You Need
- Cloudborn Superwash Merino Bulky (larger heart shown in Sky Blue), or yarn of your choosing
- US L-11 crochet hook or hook to match your yarn
- Tapestry needle
This is a perfect project for yarn scraps! You only need a little bit, and you can really use anything. Case in point: we worked up a version in both fingering and bulky weights, and they both look amazing. As long as you match your hook size to your yarn weight, the sky's the limit here.
Gauge is not important, so give yourself a break!
Your finished heart will vary in size depending on the yarn/hook combo you decide to use. Experiment and have fun!
- Ch - chain
- Dc - double crochet
- Hdc - half-double crochet
- Rnd - round
- Sc - single crochet
- St - stitch
- Tr - triple (treble) crochet
Rnd 1: (3 tr, 3 dc, ch 1, tr, ch 1, 3 dc, 3 tr) in 4th chain from hook, ch 2, slip st to first tr to join.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, (sc, hdc) in 1st st, 3 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, (sc, dc, sc) in next st, sc in next 4 sts, 2 hdc in next st, 3 hdc in next st, (hdc, sc) in next st, ch 3, slip st in center of heart.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, sc in top of ch 3 from previous round, sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 8 sts, (sc, dc, sc) in next st, sc in next 8 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, ch 3, slip st in center of heart.
Fasten off. Weave in all loose ends.
Share the Love
Have more hearts than you know what to do with? We've got ideas!
- Be mine: Attach a sweet note to your heart and give it as a valentine.
- Fill it with gifts: Crochet two identical hearts, then use a yarn needle to seam around the bottom of the heart. Leave the top open so you can tuck in fun valentine surprises inside like candy, lip balm, or another tiny gift.
- Wear it on your sleeve: Glue or sew a pinback to your heart, then pin it to your sweater to add a little bit of V-Day love to your outfit.
- Make a garland: String the hearts on a long strand of yarn, or chain a long strand with your crochet hook for something sturdier. Sew or thread the hearts onto the long strand, then hang it somewhere awesome.
- Yarn bomb it: Tie long strands of yarn to three or four sections of the heart, then tie the heart to a chain-link fence. It’s sure to make passersby smile!