Raffia yarn plus Tunisian crochet may just be our favorite summer combo. This go-to clutch is lightweight (thanks, raffia!), but can also hold all the essentials for a night on the town. Make one to go with every outfit, because of course you should.
Pattern by Toni Lipsey of TL Yarn Crafts
Size: 10 inches wide x 6-1/4 inches tall
What You Need
- Wool and the Gang Ra-Ra Raffia or other sport-weight paper yarn; 1 ball each of Color A (Ivory White), and Color B (Midnight Blue)
- US 8/H (5mm) Tunisian crochet hook with 5 inch cord (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- US 6/F (4mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
16 sts x 13 rows = 4 inches square in Tunisian simple stitch
- Ch - Chain
- Sc - Single crochet
- Sl st - Slip stitch
- St - Stitch
- Tss - Tunisian simple stitch
- Tss2tog - Tunisian simple stitch 2 stitches together
The following instructions are implied throughout pattern:
- The loop already on the hook at the beginning of the row counts as the first st.
- Always tss in the last st of the row, being sure to work under both loops of the st.
Pattern rows are your Forward Pass instructions.
Follow the foundation row and each pattern row with a Return Pass in the same color.
- Return Pass instructions: chain 1, *yarn over, pull through two loops on hook; repeat from * until one loop left on hook.
Foundation row: With A and 5mm Tunisian crochet hook, ch 41. Pull up a loop in the 2nd ch from hook and each ch across. (41 tss)
Rows 1-2: Continuing with A, tss across row.
Row 3: With B, tss across row.
Rows 4-42: Repeat Rows 1-3 thirteen times.
Row 43: Continuing with B, tss2tog, tss across row to last 3 sts, tss2tog, tss last st. (39 tss)
Rows 44-57: Repeat Row 43. (11 tss)
Slip stitch bind off loosely . Cut yarn.
Fold the striped portion of the clutch in half, wrong sides together. Whip stitch up both sides with color A, leaving the top open.
Make Wrist Loop
With A and 4mm crochet hook, join with sl st into a corner of clutch, ch 56, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each st across row, sl st in same st at corner of clutch. Cut yarn leaving a long tail.
Attach the other end of your sc strap with a sl st at the same corner of the clutch. Cut yarn leaving a long tail.
With A, apply a single strand of fringe to front flap of the clutch. You'll have 12 strands on each side and 11 strands along the bottom. Trim the fringe to your desired length. If you've never added fringe to something before, check out this stocking project : the process for adding fringe at the end is exactly the same.
If your fringe is looking a little out of control, hit it with some steam to calm it down.
Find Your Next Project
You've got the Tunisian simple stitch down cold — you're ready for new stitches and new projects!