Cake superstar Joshua John Russell isn't just known for amazing designs, he's also a master of creating bold new flavors. The newest on the list? Ginger buttercream! With just the right kick of ginger, it's the perfect flavor for setting off spice cakes , holiday cakes and more. And thanks to Joshua, we've got the inside scoop on the exclusive recipe. Check it out below.
Yield: Enough to fill and ice a 10 in. (25 cm) round cake
- 8 large egg whites (about 1 cup/240 ml)
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups (680 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup (120 g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- In warmer climates/seasons, change the amount of butter to 2 cups (455 g) and add 1½ cups (340 g) of vegetable shortening to the buttercream. This gives the buttercream more stability at higher temperatures.
- Best results when made a day in advance.
- Recommended pairing: Joshua's spice cake recipe .
1. In the top of a double boiler over low heat, warm the egg whites, granulated sugar and salt, whisking constantly until the sugar is dissolved. (Note: Heat the mixture slowly to avoid making scrambled eggs!)
2. Place mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on high speed until a peak forms and the mixture is cool (about 5 mins.).
3. Reduce the speed to medium and add the softened butter a little at a time.
4. Continue to mix, adding the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla.
5. Add the crystallized ginger to the mixture. (Flavor will intensify over time, so be sure to make it a day in advance.)
Watch Joshua use the same recipe for an incredible Henna Cake design!