It's easy to pick up a bottle of Baileys at the store for some grasshopper cocktails , but it's just as easy — and more delicious — to make the Irish cream liqueur yourself.
Made from a blend of Irish whiskey, cream, sweeteners and flavorings, this drink is almost like a dessert on its own. Add some chocolate syrup (it blends easier than cocoa powder) and a pinch of instant coffee (to add depth) and you've got the perfect drink for St. Patrick's Day — or year-round.
Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur
Yield: about 3 cups
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup Irish whiskey
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl or large mason jar. Stir or whisk to combine.
2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. If stored correctly, the liqueur can keep for weeks.
It's easy to tweak this recipe to recreate some of your favorite flavors. A few ideas:
Caramel Irish Cream: Add 3 tablespoons of caramel sauce and a small pinch of salt.
Coffee Irish Cream: Increase instant coffee to 1½ tablespoons, dissolving it in 1 tablespoon hot water before adding to the remaining ingredients.
Find Your Next Recipe
Once you've got your DIY Baileys, use it in these treats for an extra-fun kick.