We can't get enough of this design by Arounna Khounnoraj — it's cute, trendy and easy to knock out in a weekend. Plus, it's a great way to use all those yarn scraps you have lying around. Let's get punching!
Punch Needle Barrette
Tools and Materials
- Piece of linen stretched over an embroidery hoop
- Download the barrette templates , sized to about ½ inch larger than the blank metal hair clips you will be using
- Carbon paper
- Light source
- Soft lead pencil
- Large size Ultra-Punch Needle tool
- 4-5 skeins embroidery floss or 4-ply/fingering weight for each brooch. Or substitute another yarn suitable for use with your tool in 4 or 5 different colors (for other sizes of punch needle, use the appropriate weight yarn)
- Hot glue gun or Goop adhesive
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Craft felt for backing
- Blank metal hair clip or barrette, 9-10 centimeters wide
- Bulldog clip or clothes peg
Download the PDF instructions below, and check out our class, Punch Needle Basics , if you need a little extra help.
Excerpted with permission from Punch Needle: Master the Art of Punch Needling Accessories for You and Your Home by Arounna Khounnoraj, published by Quadrille May 2019, RRP $19.99 Paperback.